Monday, March 7, 2011

Entertainment Writing

A few weeks ago when my husband and I attended the Long Bays Symphony concert, "Motion Picture Magic, Music from the Movies," a friend I saw there asked if I was writing a story for the paper. I told her I was there to enjoy it!


I enjoy writing, no matter the topic, but it got me thinking about the entertainment programs I have written stories about. I've covered:

* Sea Notes Choral Society in Southport, N.C.
* Senior Follies fundraiser for Habitat for Humanity in Oak Island, N.C.
* Concerts on the Coast, the outdoor summer fare that's free to all and paid for by local
groups in Brunswick County, N.C.
* Dancing with the Brunswick County Stars


I wrote all of these stories for The Sun News, the Myrtle Beach daily. The stories were human interest and promos for the groups rather than revues.


For those interested in getting published, contact your local publisher and ask if you can cover the concert, play or other production in your area. Often the designated staff entertainment writer isn't able to attend a program, so the editor may be willing to hire a freelancer for the job. Be familiar with the group you will revue, do your research and tell the editor what you know.


Another possibility is to interview the headliner. It's easier than most people think.

* The-late Frank Capra Jr.: I had no trouble getting an interview with him just by telling him I wanted the interview because he was the guest speaker for Brunswick County Volunteer Center.


*Michael Gurian: I agreed to call this Washington state author of "The Wonder of Boys" and 24 other books, after 8 p.m. his time. I live in the Eastern time zone, three hours later than Pacific time.

*Wives of sports figures: At the beginning of my career, I wrote about wives of Chicago Bears football players. I interviewed the wife of golfer D.A. Weibring, who won the Western Open in 1987.


Look around for authors, speakers, singers and other headliners, and most will be happy to talk to a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment