Friday, April 23, 2010

The Devil in the White City, Part II

I'm almost halfway through the book, and I'm horrified by Dr. H.H. Holmes sadistic, cold-blooded killings. I still haven't learned what his motives are for killing women. Eric Larson's description of him is similar to the descriptions of Ted Bundy--a charmer who is irresistible to women but a serial killer nonetheless. So far Holmes has killed at least two women and a child. Another woman left Chicago abruptly, unwilling to say why except she didn't want to talk about Holmes. She went home to Iowa and died there. I suspect Holmes poisoned her. He was a trained physician and knew how to kill without using weapons.
The Columbian Exposition--actually, its proper title is World's Columbian Exposition--is progressing faster than I thought it could. The number of buildings and their detailed construction defies credibility, but Burnham pushed ahead, determined to show the world that America, specifically Chicago, could accomplish the established goals.
I am impressed with some of the names associated with the Exposition--Thomas Edison, Elias Disney and Frederick Law Olmstead, landscape designer of New York's Central Park and Biltmore Estate in Asheville, N.C.
This book contains biography, history, suspense, murder and intrigue. I've talked to some people who didn't want to read all the details of the developing Exposition, but as the story unfolds, I don't want to skip one word!

No comments:

Post a Comment